We have all come across small black spots of mould appearing in bathrooms, kitchens and damp corners. We normally do not pay it much attention but make do with a wash and a lick of new paint. In actual fact, mould, if left untreated can pose a serious risk to both your health and home.
Black mould or mildew can be found in a variety of places where it materialises as a fluffy grey-black growth. It can grow on virtually any surface from wood to insulation, drywalls and carpets. Mould produces tiny spores which travel through the air till they find damp spots to settle in.
All that mould needs to thrive is a tiny bit of nutrition from the surface and, most importantly, access to moisture.
Apart from regularly wiping down surfaces, mould growth can be controlled through lowering overall indoor humidity levels and deprive mould of its main source of nutrition.
The simplest method of doing this is with dehumidifier. One of these clever units should be sufficient to keep the relative humidity below the 60-70% that mould needs to grow.
If you already have a problem with mould, simply cleaning the surface or painting over the mould will not get rid of it. To eradicate it completely, it is necessary to lower the relative humidity in the affected areas to below 60%. This will starve the mould and prevent it from growing back and should soon lead to an improved indoor environment. This can be done easily by investing in a dehumidifier, which should dry out the area in a week or so, ready for cosmetic repairs.
Prevention is better than cure, and with our Smart Control technology, Ebac dehumidifiers adapt to your lifestyle, knowing when you use take a shower, cook and dry laundry - times when excess moisture is most prevalent, making the environment unsuitable for mould to develop.
Mould is likely to affect a majority of homes in some shape or form. Once spotted, it needs to be treated thoroughly. Making sure areas are properly vented, wet patches are dried up as they occur and humidity levels are kept in check, are three simple measures to prevent the problem from occurring in your home, saving both your health and home from any damage.