Desiccant dehumidifiers are not suitable for domestic use in the UK.
They use a substantial amount of energy compared to compressor dehumidifiers.
Compressor dehumidifiers are more suitable for domestic use in the UK.
Ebac’s compressor dehumidifiers with Smart Control are between £50 to £150 cheaper to run per year than a desiccant dehumidifier.
- Desiccant dehumidifiers remove water by natural absorption.
- They use an electrical heater to continuously regenerate the adsorbent material – ie they dry the absorbent material out so it can collect moisture again.
- They have high extraction capacities at typical UK winter conditions
- However this high extracting capacity is often misused.
- A domestic desiccant dehumidifier removes around 3 times more moisture than is required for an average British home with 4 occupants.
- A typical desiccant removes up to 8 litres of water per day, however the average UK home only requires around 1 to 2 litres of water extraction per day.
- This additional water extraction is 100% wasted as the moisture is simply pulled in from outdoors
- Desiccant dehumidifiers consume substantially more amount of energy to run than compressor dehumidifiers with no additional benefit.
- Desiccant dehumidifiers are perfect for locations where temperatures may drop below 3°C, such as garages, unoccupied properties, caravans etc.
- Ebac manufacture desiccant dehumidifiers for industrial clients who have large amounts of moisture to remove from swimming pools, construction or building projects where running costs are not important.
- Compressor Dehumidifiers remove water by producing a cold surface that the moisture condenses on.
- They use refrigeration technology to make a cold surface.
- Refrigeration is more energy efficient than drying an absorbent material by heating.
- A fan sucks in the air, the air releases it’s moisture on the cold surface and dry, warm air is then pushed back out in to the room.
- A typical compressor dehumidifier removes up to 3 litres of water per day, however the average UK home only requires around 1 to 2 litres of water extraction per day.
- A compressor dehumidifier therefore provides the optimum level of water extraction at the lowest cost.
- Compressor dehumidifiers use less energy to run than dessicant dehumidifiers.
- If you use Ebac’s patented Smart Control that energy saving increases to 35% over dehumidifiers with a manual humidistat.
- The performance of the dehumidifier is determined by the design and setup.
- It’s essential to purchase a dehumidifier that is designed for UK temperatures and climate.
- Compressor dehumidifiers are perfect for use in the home - where temperatures rarely drop below 10°C.
- Ebac manufacture compressor dehumidifiers for domestic use – as they are the perfect fit for the requirements of a house.